Have to thank Rhonda over at Help Me Rhonda for this award–one I am ever so eager to share with all of you, list my 5 favorite books of all time, and then nominate 5 other people whom I want to
perter know more about what their favorite books are, and why. Rhonda knows I normally do not “do” awards, but hey–I am loving this one, so I am going to break my own rules and accept it.
Speaking of rules, there are a few to be observed here, too:
1. Nominate other blogs, as many as you want but 5-10 is always a good suggestion. Don’t forget to let your recipients know.
2. Post the Booker Award picture.
3. Share your top 5 books of all time
So–the top 5 books of all time for me (and this is a tough one, because I have been reading a book a day since….since the age of 5) are:
1. Holy the Firm by Annie Dillard (where is the ability to underline when you need it?). Never mind about that! This book is a long prose poem; magical and lyrical. It describes the writer’s time in Puget Sound, and I kid you not, I borrowed this book from someone in the early 80s and I would not return it until I had my own copy. Read it folks. Well, everyone except the blogging friend to whom I am sending a copy this week. You–and you know who you are–this book will soon wing its way over to you :)
2. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. This book raised my consciousness to politics in South America when I was all of 16–and I love it for so many other reasons. This is magically lyrical throughout, even when describing some of the most brutal realities.
3. Watership Down by Richard Adams.
4. The Earth’s Children series by Jean Auel, which was already eloquently described by Rhonda on her blog. I love it for the same reasons.
5. The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough. For the same reasons as Rhonda, minus the Catholic shock and guilt.
I could go on and on, but will stop with five.
Okay, hmmm? Who do I want to know more about favorite reading lists? Oh, oh, I know! Goody! Here we go:
Jeremy Nathan Marks–really want your list.
Noel — Please? I know you hate the awards process, but just a comment here telling us what they are will do!
Celestine — would love to know what your top 5 books are.
David — What are your favs, my northern friend?
Leo — What books keep you awake at night?